The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The Shepherd as suffering servant

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastorlois

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: The Shepherd as suffering servant Reply with quote

: Throughout the word the good shepherd must be willing to intercede on behold of the flock; to save them from some fate; to stay with them regardless the conditions of heat, cold, drought, or predators. Moses comes up more than once in the book as an example of such a servant. When pleading for the children of Israel at Mt Sinai he tells God to blot out his name out of the book, even though he had not been involved in their sin that day. When my father died of a heart attack, I was twelve. My mother called her mom thinking the ambulance would arrive and that maybe my father would recover. As grandma opened the back door, my mother said “Ernie’s gone mom.” My grandma, broke down and asked God why couldn’t he take her instead? I was too young to understand the significance of her statement but true love causes one to prefer to suffer than to see those you love suffer.
In Isaiah, Laniak also discussed the second exodus and another example of a Moses typology in Hugenbergers definition of a servant as ‘one who does not exist for themselves but as agents for someone else’s purpose.” Here in this second exodus God is the Great Shepherd performing sweeping acts of the shepherd to lead, protect and restore is people. And Jesus is the long awaited ‘ideal king’ and suffering servant who is the lamb of God suffering the death for sins he did not commit and doing so out of love.
The ultimate test of true love of shepherd leader is obedience to the God the father. It is the example that has been set before us by prophets, priest and kings and by the total example of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. We serve at the pleasure of the high calling in Christ and must anticipate that we too will be rejected, persecuted, and even “bitten” by the very people that we are to serve and we should strive to follow the example that has been set before us.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: