The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Tricks of the Trade

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 5: Spring Up, O Well!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Tricks of the Trade Reply with quote

“Do we sometimes, in exasperation, use the ‘tricks’ of skills and strategies to accomplish heaven’s work?...But if the staff in our hands is the ‘system’ that ‘works’ without engaging the Holy Spirit, it is a sham.” In my experience, at least, this is all too common in pastoral ministry. We go to conferences, buy the books, and then try out the sure-fire church-growth techniques we heard there on our unsuspecting congregations, only to scratch our heads in confusion when they don’t work. I once heard a story about a church that was so enamored of Willow Creek’s model, that they were trying to copy WC down to the last detail, to the point of calling them up to ask them where they bought their wastebaskets! (I am not making this up!...though I wish I was.) To be fair, of course there is nothing wrong with conferences or books or programs or Willow Creek per se – there is wisdom in learning from the experiences and successes and failures of others – the problem is, as you indicated – when we turn to these things without consulting the Holy Spirit.
Ragamuffin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unforunately, ours is a culture looking for results, results, results. Digging wells and drilling deep and trusting God were for "back then." In an instant coffee in the microwave society where the average person has the attention span of a gnat with ADD, wait is a four-letter word.

...off my soapbox now...

As Tim noted in his book, the need is for leaders to do the hard things more, not less, because we know too much. Bob noted in his post that we often rely on ourselves and what has worked more than looking for the "new thing" God might be doing in the present. This is a side of the same point about WC that Jamie is making. Going back to the reflection yesterday, doing what we merely know or relying on a program rather than God's power and promises is tantamount to creating cisterns that have no life in them.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 5: Spring Up, O Well!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: