The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Day 5

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 5: Spring Up, O Well!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevrev16

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Day 5 Reply with quote

Last year was my 7th on staff here in my local church. Our Elders bless us with the gift of a month-long Sabbatical after 7 years on the team. I spent a great deal of time focusing on this idea of being refreshed and spending time in the Word of God. But, some days, I found it incredibly difficult. How do I read the Bible without taking notes for a sermon? How do I read a good book without underlining and thinking through how to apply that in a counseling situation or leadership development? Essentially, how do I stop "working"?

I've wrestled with this for the past year too. Do I just work at not working? Do I pray for God to illuminate the Scriptures and keep my mind from work? (A practice I've started doing more and more)

Finally, Laniak's commentary on Moses and the rock was poignant for me in that I often feel the temptation to "strike the stone." Working with young people there is almost always a temptation to try to find a hook or a catch to captivate attention. But to whose glory and for what purpose? It was a good reminder of a conviction to point others to God first and foremost as their wellspring of life.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 5: Spring Up, O Well!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: