The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

"Greener pastures" as a symptom

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 6: Greener Pastures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cliff Fletcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: "Greener pastures" as a symptom Reply with quote

"Greener pastures" seems inevitable in ministry: if we only had more ministry money, if only everyone showed up on Sunday, if only I could pastor in that city... Greener pastures thinking is a symptom of unrest in my present ministry setting, either a personal unrest or a church situation. It seems to be a flight reflex - run because things are not comfortable, or not satisfying. Greener pastures can be a fantasy story line I develop and spend time with, or it can be an alarm I recognize that indicates that my spiritual fuel tank is on low and I need to make things right. 'Father make it so this desire for greener pastures becomes an internal alarm that flags my spiritual reality. Help me Father to internalize this more than blame my circumstances. Help me be [perhaps even painfully] aware that I have not been drinking from Your satisfying life giving wellsprings. And today I would love to drink You up.'

I'd also like to consider the idea of leadership as "thoughtful hospitality". What a wonderful idea that is certainly worthy of being further unpacked. Is Laniak understanding "thoughtful" as considerate, or as full of thoughts, and well reasoned? Or perhaps both considerate and reasonable? Is "hospitality" here to be the role of a host? Has the host already arrived and is home in the vision or direction and it is the job of the leader to invite guests (his flock) into this direction/vision/home? Somehow the phrase offers a warmth to leadership, an other-centeredness that is necessary in pastoral leadership. It is inviting. I'll jot down on my thought note pad and consider further...
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 6: Greener Pastures
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: