The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Post four. The leadership of YHWH in the wilderness

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colin Dickson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Post four. The leadership of YHWH in the wilderness Reply with quote

The Presence of God

God leading his people through the wilderness with the cloud by day and the fire by night is the imagery most of us are familiar with in regard to God's presence. Therefore, the author's use of Deuteronomy 32:10-12 as a context for "The presence of God" was very interesting. I gained a new understanding and appreciation of the concept of the Lord leading his "flock" in the wilderness as a shepherd leads his sheep. The words "shielded", "cared for" and "led him" took on a whole new meaning.

In turn I was intrigued with how Timothy Laniak develops the shepherd motifs of "protection" "provision" and "guidance" in terms of "The presence of God" in the context of the wilderness. I had considered the exodus from Egypt, the crossing of the Red Sea and throwing Pharaoh's army into confusion, as the presence of God in the form of deliverance only. Considering these events as also "protection" that comes from God enabled me to see more clearly the shepherd metaphor that the author seeks to convey. I now approach the Old Testament from a fresh perspective.

God's divine "provision" for his people in the form of "water, bread and meat" (p81), healing "in the story of the bronze serpent" (p81) "rest" as promised to Moses (p83) and "the Promised Land itself" (p84) is again familiar imagery to every reader of the Bible. Yet when viewed as provision from the "Shepherd of Israel" (p84) in the context of the wilderness the imagery is much more rich and provides the opportunity for contemplative reflection.

"God's guidance" (p84) is the third shepherd motif which the author suggests "begins with his redemption of the people from Egypt and continues throughout their journey to the pastures of the Promised Land" (p84). Again the author highlights this imagery of the Lord as the Shepherd of his people and draws the reader's attention to the "Pentateuchal theme of God's pastoral leading" (p84). This is a wonderful theme, brought vividly into focus through the Scripture references of Exodus 15:13, Genesis 33:14, Psalm 23:2, Isaiah 40:11. I have thoroughly enjoyed reflecting on these verses and pursuing this theme throughout the Old Testament.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: