The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Shepherds in the Ancient World - Relationships

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colin Dickson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Shepherds in the Ancient World - Relationships Reply with quote

8 March 2019. Post three. Relationship.
Shepherds in the Ancient World

"The condition and growth of a flock depends greatly on the care, attentiveness and skill of the shepherd" (p53). As I said in a previous post, this quote from the author brought to mind two words, responsibility and relationships. The context for the concept of responsibility that I discussed in previous posts, I believe is set in the framework of a relationship the shepherd has with his sheep. The author paints a wonderful picture of this relationship when he writes that the "responsible shepherds know every member of their flocks in terms of their birth circumstances, history of health, eating habits and other idiosyncrasies" (p57).

Again the similarities to pastoral ministry is striking in that Pastors have the responsibility to build relationships with the members of their congregations. There is often a special bond between the pastor and his people through knowing "every member of [the] flock" often from birth to death. This relationship enables the Pastor to love and care for his people producing a protective endearment that seeks only the best for the people.

For me, Timothy Laniak sums up this section on "Shepherds in the Ancient World" extremely well through pointing out the use of "the staff" and "the rod" by the shepherd. He suggests that these two instruments "may represent the two functions of the shepherd… protector from external threats… and peacekeeper among the flocks" (p56). If the Pastor is going to be a "peacekeeper" he must then ensure that he has and maintains a good relationship amongst the people.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: