The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Shepherds in the Ancient World - Responsibilities

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colin Dickson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Shepherds in the Ancient World - Responsibilities Reply with quote

8 March 2019. Post two. Responsibilities.
Shepherds in the Ancient World
Responsibility to provide rest, security and safety: Again the author vividly describes the roles and responsibilities of the first century shepherd in Palestine. Not only were they to provide food and water but also they had responsibility to provide rest, security and safety from the natural elements, wild animals, disease, thieves and the surrounding environment. My thoughts turned again to the responsibilities of the Pastor to protect the congregation from false teachers, wrong perception of God and a wrong understanding of how to live the Christian life, overwork in serving in the congregation and unwarranted criticism from others within the congregation. As the first century shepherd in Palestine led the sheep to places of rest, it is equally important that the 21st Century Pastor lead the people into the rest of God.

Regarding this point, one danger the author mentions is that "driving the flocks too hard can bring fatalities" (p55). This was a clear and present reminder to me to be careful and not to drive the congregation too hard in terms of their commitment to serve. Every Pastor has a responsibility to protect the people from busyness in congregational life that can result in people neglecting marriage and family responsibilities as well as rest and recreational activities.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: