The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Shepherd Foundations

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DorlanSL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Shepherd Foundations Reply with quote

Back Drop…
The incite of the writer to provide what I call a very informative back drop to the book ‘Shepherds after My Own Heart’ gives the reader a clear picture of the life of a shepherd not only in ancient near east but also that of today’s world. As a son of a shepherd I can relate too many of the duties outlined by the writer. Although many centuries have pass since these care givers embarked upon caring for sheep the passion for this daunting task remains high. The concentration given to metaphors by the author brings about colour in a very dramatic form. This use of words continues to make referencing between physical and Biblical terms unique.
The usage of metaphors lends for quick comparison when use in a culture where the practice is unique yet at the same time we can get something fresh. Getting an in-depth understanding of the use helps one to better understand the literary context of scripture as the usage of same is practice within both Old and New Testaments. The consistent reference between that of a shepherd and the many animals he owned was clearly tied to how wealthy he was.
The book of Genesis 46 makes note of the occupation of the shepherd being a detestable one. Here Joseph informs his brothers that when Pharaoh ask what is your occupation they were to reply ‘your servants attend livestock’. This permitted them to settle in Goshen.
I found the passage on Mesopotamian deities very interesting as the writings of Hammurabi were somewhat foreign to me. But as Laniak put it, ‘shepherd language is used for a variety of Gods in diverse literary context and the title of shepherd is found in context with explicit references to benevolent rule/leadership.’
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: