The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Why the Son of Man Came

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 10: Lost and Found
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davegus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Why the Son of Man Came Reply with quote

“Leadership means looking for the lost. Shepherd leaders feel comfortable in places where sheep get lost. We need to know our way around tough neighborhoods, vacant lots, bars, and homeless shelters.”
This challenges me. Today I met with a para-church ministry leader in Paterson, an inner-city area 10 miles from the comfortable suburb where my church is located. He told me of his ministry to the poor and marginalized, and also his church which is composed of half homeless people. As we walked the streets and interacted with people, in some ways I did feel comfortable. My years of experience in overseas ministry and my Spanish ability help me to feel somewhat at home. But in other ways, I feel very disconnected from that world. I am actively praying for God’s guidance in how He’d have me (and my church family) more engaged in local inner-city ministry.

But the quote also challenged me much closer to home. There are “lost,” wandering people all over the suburbs. Sometimes, all it takes is a little effort—an email, a call—to pursue someone and show that they’re missed. Rather than gossiping or complaining or worrying about people who have wandered away, I realize I could pursue them much more actively and lovingly.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 10: Lost and Found
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: