The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Anicent World Shepherds

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KAMALFoo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Anicent World Shepherds Reply with quote

Like many who grew up in an urban North American I knew very little about the imagery of the sheep and shepherds. I understood some of the shepherd biblical imagery beforehand and this book re-shaped my understanding of pastoral ministry and my context. Firstly to take the imagery of the flock in terms of goats and sheep, it is no surprise that we see many who are like sheep that prefer to huddle together. They like to protect themselves from others and the elements. Perhaps this is what leads us to see the many cliques and inner circles formed in many of our churches and the suspicions people have of newcomers. In the midst of this group there are those who are goats, those who believe they are smarter, more independent and they tend to serve as leaders. This often leads to a sense of pride among those willing to lead and a sense of cynicism they may feel towards sheep in the congregation. Secondly the challenge of the shepherd, to provide food and water for the animals in environments that withholds these essential elements of life. As shepherds we help provide the nourishment for our flock to grow spiritually, emotionally, mentally, physically healthy. We are reminded that the world cannot offer much in these areas but through the word of God and testimony of Jesus Christ can our flock have full nourishment. Lastly it is the responsibility of the shepherd to know member of their flock and their idiosyncrasies. Building relationships and knowing those in our congregation is a responsibility for each of us as shepherds and pastors.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: