The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

When Counting Sheep is the Worst Way to Sleep

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 27: My Sleepless Shepherd
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastor.travis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: When Counting Sheep is the Worst Way to Sleep Reply with quote

“More than the quantity of physical activity, the real weight of leadership is emotional. The greatest stress on our well-being (and our family life) is the energy required to care for a community.”

I’ve always been envious (in a Godly way?) of my wife’s ability to seemingly shut off the fears and anxiety that creep up in the midst of ecclesiastical heartache. This is a trait Sarah inherited, or rather learned, from her own father – a man of great faith and simple trust in God.

In contra-distinction to my wife, I have found myself far too often wracked with worry, fears, and thoughts of worst-case scenarios regarding some difficulty in the church. Sleepless nights give way to grumpy mornings, no appetite, and harshness toward my children. As much as I’d like to imagine that I have matured in my faith and gained some traction on this tendency, the truth may be that recent years have simply seen less ministry conflict to worry about.

I appreciate the author’s exhortation that “the only true consolation for the relentless burden of leadership is the reality that God … neither slumbers nor sleeps.” While this is certainly true, and I have obtained this truth by faith, I am yet waiting for the day when my ministry fears and worries can be more habitually washed in the sure hope that “he is working all things together for good.”
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 27: My Sleepless Shepherd
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: