The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The leadership model of the Lion and the Lamb

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssheet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: The leadership model of the Lion and the Lamb Reply with quote

In chapter fifteen, Laniak speaks of Jesus presented as both Lamb and Shepherd. It is a remarkable concept for our society because it speaks of power and authority in different terms than what the world is used to. They understand the image of Jesus the Lion of Judah who subdues his enemies and claims victory. They do not understand the image of Jesus the Lamb who gives up his life in order to bring people into relationship with Him. While the world pays lip service to self-sacrifice, they base leadership success on how many people you can control. The world's idea is that you are worthy of power if you you are able to dominate or sway people's opinions, but it seldom gauges a leader's worthiness based on one's readiness to sacrifice themselves. Yet, this is the model that Jesus teaches because His goal is to be obedient to the Father by redeeming mankind as the perfect sacrifice for sin. Of course Jesus is also worthy of authority because His sacrifice is acceptable for the salvation of His people [pg240]. While we are not worthy in this sense, yet as his followers we are to “be like him, a pure and blameless sacrifice” [pg242]. This is quite a challenge as again, it reminds me that both sides of the shepherd, the lion-like wielder of authority and the lamb-like sacrificial servant, are to always be functioning together as we shepherd God's people. As one who trains leaders, I have often leaned towards the side of training people to be caring and nurturing but this is a challenge to handle the authority of leadership with strength based on God's empowerment and seeking his glory.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: