The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The context of ancient shepherds

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssheet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: The context of ancient shepherds Reply with quote

As I was reading the second chapter, "Shepherds in the Ancient World", I was struck by how little I actually knew about shepherding. As I learned more about the mindset and actions of a shepherd, the metaphor of the the shepherd as leader has challenged me to reconsider my style of leadership. I had know somethings such as the role of shepherds as both the leader and the protector of the sheep as symbolized by their staff and rod. However, I certainly did not understand the level of care and protection that the shepherd provides. This has led me to examine my own dedication to leading and ask if I, like the shepherds of old, am willing to lay down my life for the sheep. Do I see myself as an undershepherd responsible to the Great Shepherd or am I just trying to lead as others expect? In pg54, Laniak says "One of the most pressing challenges for shepherds is to provide food and water" in what is essentially a hostile environment. In the spiritual sense, pastors are to feed the sheep and lead them to water for rest and refreshment in a world that is definitely a hostile spiritual environment. In the setting of the church, this means, a leader can not leave his sheep in the same place, doing the same things in a mindless rote just because it is the way things have always been done. Coming from a local church setting where there is great resistance to change, there will be a great deal of resistance to leading the church to new mindset where ministries need to be ended or started based on the overall spiritual benefit to the sheep and not to the institution. As an undershepherd, the sheep are not mine but I have a responsibility and a privilege to care for them on behalf of the Great Shepherd. I don't ultimately answer to the expectations of the institution though I respect them. Rather, I must "move" the sheep to new pastures even though there may be great resistance. New ministries need to be started so that the congregation can be challenged. Old ministries that have dried out and are not nurturing the flock must be re-evaluated and ended if they can not be re-adjusted. The health of the congregation is going to be closely related to how well the pastor leads so, as a pastor, I need to have the mindset to be willing to lay down everything, including my comfort, my personal goals, and whatever stands in the way of growing the people of God under my care. This is just following the footsteps of the Great Shepherd that I and every pastor answers to.[/quote]
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: