The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The verbs for shepherds

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qzhang

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: The verbs for shepherds Reply with quote

I have been paying special attention to the verbs in both the Book and the Bible, the verbs that describe what shepherds need to do. One thing I learned through this reading is that the pastoral work is complex. It can hardly be summarized or put into procedures. It requires a lot of wisdom, discernment and prayer for each given situation. But by looking at the verbs, it will give me some ideas on pastoral tasks.

[i]Being present[/i] with the sheep sounds simple, but can be difficult during tough times such as sickness or death. Sometimes, being present is the only thing we can do. At other times, this is all the sheep need. [i]Protect[/i] the sheep, from what? From false teaching, from the traps of Satan, and from the deceptive world. [i]To guide[/i] the sheep probably needs more wisdom than we normally think. It is not to force, but to gently guide from one point to another. (P79-86)
[i]To gather[/i] is opposed to scatter. When scared, the sheep will run towards different directions. But the sheep ought to go out to [i]search[/i], [i]bring them back[/i], and eventually[i] put them together [/i]as a community.(P154) In addition, the shepherd needs to [i]strengthen[/i] the sheep. The sheep are weak by nature, but the shepherd will make them stronger and stronger.(P170)

As shepherds, we need to [i]feed[/i] the sheep with nutritions-the Word of God. The feeding motif may be used interchangeably with [i]preaching and teaching[/i]. We also need to [i]take good care[/i] of them. We should be willing to [i]sacrifice[/i] for the sheep, even to the degree of [i]laying down [/i]our own lives.

We lead the sheep by [i]setting good examples[/i]. That way, the sheep can imitate Christ through us. We are responsible for [i]building up[/i] the church as a whole. When they are sad, we should [i]comfort[/i] them through our own experience with God.

As church leaders, we [i]oversee[/i] the spiritual status of the congregation. We also[i] rule [/i]the local church in proper order according to God’s will. We have[i] intercessory prayers [/i]to God for our brothers and sisters. To fulfill the Great Commandment, we will [i]baptize[/i] believers from all nations. Subsequently, we will [i]make them disciples[/i] of Jesus Christ. We [i]train[/i] those who are faithful to teach others.

These are some verbs for the under-shepherds. These are what we do. We are doing these tasks so that the people will fulfill the meaning and purpose God intents them to be, and His Name will be glorified through our work. What a blessed job we have as the under-shepherds!
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: