The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Divine Preference...for Me?

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 28: GUIDANCE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corinthpastorbob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Divine Preference...for Me? Reply with quote

My favorite quote in Tim Laniak's first shepherding book, the biblical theology of pastoral leadership titled, "Shepherds After My Own Heart," is this: "the divine preference for human agency is amazingly resilient."

Tim makes a reference to that quote in this introductory meditation on "Guidance." It's a comfort for me this Monday morning. Without going into detail, yesterday's Sunday morning worship service was not the highlight of my pastoral career. One attender was obviously looking for something nice to say when she called the service “interesting” on her way out. A church leader called it "a train wreck.” That was certainly not a unanimous opinion. Some worshipers were quite positive.

But I will be the first to admit that the service didn't flow well, it didn't connect well, and it seemed to drag on interminably - finishing almost a half-hour after the usual time. If I felt that way, how much more those in the pew!

Ironically, this was to be a special worship service, a unique experience that used the gifts of all our primary worship leaders. It was, I would have told you Saturday night, well-planned. I envisioned a memorable service that would remind everyone of why we're a church family. It was memorable, but not in the way I would have liked!

I think I know what Coach John Fox of the Carolina Panthers (a National Football League team that had a disappointing season last fall) felt on most Monday mornings. I have a good team. We thought we were well-prepared. What happened? Why did we go flat? Fortunately, unlike Coach Fox, I won't have to sit agonizingly and watch "game films" ad nauseam this week. Some staff reflection on Tuesday morning will help us clarify what we learned and what we can do better next time.

Fortunately, Corinth doesn’t have many "Monday morning quarterbacks" of the critical kind. This is a gracious congregation. For me, I just need to remember that God's gracious preference for human agency is amazingly resilient. He called me into this pastoral work and he called me to this church and he's not done with us or me. He's called me into the work of Guidance, but he knew I would sometimes fail and disappoint. The divine willingness to use me over and over in spite of my flaws is, indeed, amazing.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 28: GUIDANCE
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: