The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Shepherds as Followers

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrseibert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Shepherds as Followers Reply with quote

When Timothy Laniack states that "a good shepherd is a follower before he is a leader" (22), he reminds us of a fundamental truth regarding our identity as pastors: before anything else, we are followers of Jesus Christ. We, as pastors, are always disciples, students, sheep in need of care and direction, wholly dependent upon the grace and mercy of the Lord just as much as any other person in our congregation. Truly, this identity is one we share with all Christians, especially those we live and serve among as leaders in our churches. In addition, being followers of Jesus Christ, outselves, may be the single greatest factor granting credibility to our role as pastors. When our people know that our purpose and goal and "agenda" is only to faithfully and lovingly follow Jesus, then they are better able to trust us and be led by us. My hope is that this is the kind of leader that our churches are looking for because it is the kind of leader that we need most today-- ones who are, first and foremost, followers of Jesus.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: