The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Good Leader knows where to find pastures

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph Park

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Good Leader knows where to find pastures Reply with quote

The Good Leader knows where to find pastures

The psalm 23 tells us the good shepherd. The good shepherd knows there to find pastures that are not only lush but safe enough for his flocks to rest in peace. (P.111) A friend of mine in his sermon had troubled with preparing the sermon. As a result, he just copies other preacher’s sermon note by books and internet. Most preachers as a shepherd are tempted by website which shows a lot of sermons that he didn’t prepare and think over for his own sheep. In my humble opinion, they didn’t know how to lead their people. In the psalm 23:2-3, the good shepherd leads their sheep carefully to ‘still waters’, the run-off pools that become calm reservoirs for drinking. These days, a lot of sheep are hungry for spiritual bread and are starving to death on the verge because there no true spiritual food and drink as Amos mentioned.
We have to remember that being without lack was a result of God’s watchful presence in the wilderness. Scarcity is the Israelites’ experience in exile when they forsake the presence of God. If we want to be the good and true shepherd, we try to show God’s grace and admit God’s sovereign for us. We must show ourselves as the good image of God’s shepherd by providing the will of God in our life. Our sheep want to know the will of God in our preaching. The Shepherd in Psalm 23:3 guides his sheep, a form of leadership attributed to God in the wilderness. (P.114)
JE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laniak does a good job of pointing out the imagery of the 23rd Psalm. Among the metaphors, he suggests the "cup" may be a reference to fate or destiny.

While preparing to share from the 23rd Psalm in the past, I came across a book by Phillip Keller entitled, "A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23." In this book, Keller points to the "cup" as a trough that shepherds used to give water to the sheep when they are in the gates. He goes on to describe how shepherds would fill the trough to capacity or overflow so the sheep could drink water off-the-top. Hence the language of the Psalmist, "my cup runneth over".

What a joy it is to know the Shepherd does not simply meet the needs of His sheep, but oftimes provides in abundance that blessings can overflow.
kelly5966

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Finding Pasture ... Reply with quote

The goal of finding green pasture for our folks is an interesting aspect of ministry and from my perspective, not readily defined. Perhaps this is related to creating a culture or ethos in which the sheep are able to thrive. Maybe, The Kingdom of heaven, on earth. On earth, as it is in heaven. A peaceful environment where deep satisfaction is found in the proven character of the shepherd who is focused upon the well-being of the flock. Although the pasture is green, a shepherd of unethical, or immoral conduct, can cause longstanding irreparable damage.

A community or environment where people are loved unconditionally, where interpersonal grace is freely offered, where vulnerability is encouraged and exchanged for personal growth. Expectations are clear and the community yields to the shepherd, or under-shepherd, as appropriate. This is not to imply that the shepherd is passive as he is also keeping watch over anything, or anyone that would endanger or disrupt this peaceful existence. The shepherd is forever seeking a sense of equalibrium in an ever-changing environment. Much like the local pastor, she dynamic current of our culture is moving quickly and threatens the 'green pasture' of the local church. Much more could be said in this area.
Hot Springs Village, AR
mlandschoot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Green pastures= resources Reply with quote

God gives us a vision for the ministry he wants us to do! He when provides us with the resources we need to do that ministry (green pastures) I think these resources aren't just resources like money, materials, supplies, etc. I think they are spiritual as well. Like a peaceful spirit, successful teams, common core beliefs. Green pastures is all the "stuff" we need in order to provide the ministry God intends.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: