The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

God as Life Itself

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 6: Greener Pastures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robGCJAX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: God as Life Itself Reply with quote

A year or two ago I read something Augustine said that reminded me of Watchman Nee's book Christ the Sum of All Spiritual Things. Augustine was very smart so this is a very simplified version of what I think he was saying. Augustine said that God is ultimate Happiness. The best that things can do is lead us to that Happiness. The worst that things can do is distracted us from Happiness. After reading what Augustine said I reread The Sum of All Spiritual Things.

Nee like Augustine warns us not to be distracted by things. Nee says that God does not give us things, he gives us Christ. If we want wisdom God give us Jesus. If we want righteousness he gives us Christ. If we want holiness and redemption again God gives us Christ. Nee uses 1 Corinthians 1:30 to make his point, “But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption”.

If we are hungry and thirsty God give us Christ because he is “the bread of life” which satisfies us (John 6:35). If you need hope God will give you Christ, because Christ “is our hope” (1 Timothy 1:1). If you want life God give us Christ because Jesus “is our life” (Colossians 3:4). Watchman Nee says there are two kinds of Christian life “one kind is full of things while the other kind is Christ.” I know it’s a little confusing that is why I did not get it the first time through.

It is easier for me to think of it this way Christ not only shows us the way, he is the way. Jesus not only tells us the truth, he is the truth. He not only gives us life he is life. “I am the way the truth and the life …” John 14:6. He not only enlightens us he is light (John 8:12).
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 6: Greener Pastures
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: