The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Cable Cars and Shepherds

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Cable Cars and Shepherds Reply with quote

Jesus said, “My sheep know my voice.” It is pretty well known that in Jesus’s day shepherds would sometimes join their flocks so that one shepherd could watch over them while the others slept, or went somewhere else. Then when it was time to separate the sheep, each shepherd would sound his unique personal call, and his sheep would go to him.

A few years ago, my wife and I were in San Francisco. When we got onto a cable car, the driver started ringing his bell in a rather stylish, unique way. It was fun. So I asked the guy why he did that. “Well it’s like this, sir. Every cable car driver has his own way of ringing his bell. That’s how we identify ourselves to one another, and that’s how the shopkeepers on our routes know who’s passing by.”

I immediately thought of the statement of our Lord, “My sheep know my voice.”
tphilabaum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was once a time when I, a city boy, visited a friend who raised sheep. Of course, all of the sterotypical stuff was present - all the sheep looked the same to me, the shepherd knew the distincit markings and personalities of each sheep, they came to him (course, he had food) but when I was given the food (I, who they didn't trust) they ran away, even though they were hungry...

I a similar vein, in the midst of a crowded grocery store I can hear my child's (or now my grandchild's) voice. It comes to my ear in the midst of all the other noises, which I also listen to.

The Good Shepherd knows my voice. The Good Shepherd knows my heart. The Good Shepherd knows my personality. The Good Shepherd can pick me out from the crowd (as He picks out every else, too). I am known by The Good Shepherd.

Thanks be to God!
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Sheep Know their Shepherd Reply with quote

Great illustration, Tim. And you never forgot that, did you.
kelly5966

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Cable cars and Calling .... Reply with quote

I think additional illustrations or analogies on the medium of communication is somewhat irrelevant for those in ministry. Another analogy for the Shepherd calling the sheep is heaped upon the pile with countless others. Although the illustration is cute - this is hardly the issue for me. The issue for most ministers today is ... do your people know your voice? In the so-called modern-day of church growth movements and bigger is better mentality, intimacy has been exchanged for immensity. Closeness for colossal. Depth of relationship for dynamic personalities.

Something has been lost in recent days with respect to the expectations of a shepherd who still recognizes the voices of those he leads. I miss the days of knowing everyone in my congregation and the detail of their lives. Is it reasonable to expect a Pastor of Care to address the needs of the flock on behalf of the shepherd? If so, to what degree? Is this in some way a resignation to do the "tough" stuff. Let's face it - the day-to-day interaction with the painful detail and facing the hard issues of life that lack sufficient answers can tax the best of us. How important is it that our sheep know us, and our voice? How does the current mega-church model work against this level of interaction and necessary accountability. What is the impact to the pastorate, in general. The issues are numerous and not easily resolved.
Hot Springs Village, AR
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: