The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Shepherds Know their Flock

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattcapps

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Shepherds Know their Flock Reply with quote

In his devotional book While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks, Tim Laniak comments on the importance of knowing and naming the flock. “Naming is a powerful, tangible expression of the shepherds intimate bond that begins at birth and grows through an animal’s tenure with a flock. Once you begin to fathom how many times an animal may have been counted, checked, carried, nursed back to health, rescued, protected, milked, and shorn, it dawns on you why Bedouin always say, ‘They are family’.”

According to Laniak “responsible shepherds know every member of their flocks in terms of their birth circumstances, history of health, eating habits and other idiosyncrasies. It is not uncommon to name each goat and sheep and to call them by name . One of the most striking characteristics of the shepherd-flock relationship is that control over the flock is exercised simply by the sound of the shepherd’s voice or whistle . This provides a rich depiction of Jesus’ words in John 10:27, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” As for pastoral ministry, this imagery does give some credence to the old adage “people don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.”

To know someone requires time and care. Isaiah provides a good picture of a caring shepherd in 40:11. Explaining how God shepherds his people the prophet writes “He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young”. The imagery is powerful and emotive. This type of care would be expressed in the life of the church through pastoral visitation, counseling, and ministry in times of sickness and grief. “Shepherds who love their sheep notice when their sheep are hurting and seek to be with them to care for them.”
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: