The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Protecting from Within and Without

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 17: Recognizing the Wolves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phargrove

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Protecting from Within and Without Reply with quote

A fascinating look at the chess match of shepherd verses wolf that is played out underneath the cover of desert night, this reading underscores the shepherd’s challenging work of protecting the sheep from predators.

The fact that this job of protection can last throughout the duration of the night as shepherds shout, whistle, and throw rocks in all directions to stem the tide of an onslaught was eye-opening. Protection also was not merely a match of physical strength and stamina but mental as well.

The reading points to responsibilities of both sheep and shepherd. When a sheep isolates itself from the flock, then it is most vulnerable to attack. Care and protection, like the picture of sheep and goats at night in the pen for warmth and protection, is lost.

I sometimes default to keeping up with worship attendance was akin to the truant officer from elementary school – ledger in hand and clucking off absences with a big red marker, legalism running rampant. However, there does seem to be a connection to being vulnerable to attack when one moves away from the community of faith. Being aware of this isolation and being proactive in going to search for this missing or lost sheep is an important protective role for the shepherd; indeed, God’s scattered sheep, separated from their guardians, become ready meat for their desert carnivores.

The challenge also is recognizing that wolves are not combated from a predetermined battle field, lining up on the distant horizon with the enemy’s uniform clearly marked. Wolves can be from within the community as well, often taking the form of wrong doctrine.

This first reminds me of the importance personally to heed Paul’s charge in I Timothy 4:16 to “watch your life and doctrine closely.” Secondly, it reminds to also know what is being taught within the community. This is not to say that I would wear my theological cop hat and would not allow for differences in viewpoint in matters where there is disagreement among biblically faithful Christians, but it is a call for due diligence in understanding the influence that teaching has and safeguarding it.

Finally, there is the call to confront. This is my least favorite part due to the messiness of it all. Confronting is inexact and hard. Sides can be taken, motives questioned. However, when the sheep’s life is at stake, it is necessary.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 17: Recognizing the Wolves
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: