The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Sheep Scattering Shepherds

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navychap

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Sheep Scattering Shepherds Reply with quote

As I read chapter 8 tonight regarding Ezekiel's condemnation of Israel's shepherds, I was struck by the description on page 147 of Ezekiel's metaphor involving the scattering of YHWH's sheep at the hands of self-serving shepherds.
Can this indictment be made of many of us as shepherd's of God's flock? When I have led the sheep, has the result been a gathering or scattering of the sheep? This discussion of being a "Shepherd" has been a reminder that Jesus called Peter to "feed my sheep". Not build great buildings or programs, but to feed the sheep. How can this help me refocus my ministry on being a Shepherd assigned to care for His sheep, and not my own. Because that is the other reminder, that they are His, not mine, and I am accountable to Him for the condition of the flock.
How can we be better Shepherds? In what ways have we disregarded the needs of the sheep and been self-serving shepherds that Ezekiel condemned?
westonw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Protective Shepherds Reply with quote

"The protective shepherd towards outsiders is the providing shepherd towards his own flock." (from page 127)

This quote struck me as have a great depth of truth to it. How many self-serving shepherds (as navychap mentioned) can easily be discerned by the way they talk about their flock to outsiders? How many pastors/shepherds don't defend their churches to those outside them? How often have we heard about how terrible a church is? How often have we complained about the problems of our own flock?

As I thought about this I realized I wouldn't speak poorly of my family if they were ill or suffering or even wrong. Why would I do that of my church family? Those that guard their flock and its dignity are those that will care and sacrifice for them. Maybe one way we can be better shepherds is by watching what we say to those from different flocks.
malcorn33

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: adversary or beloved member of the flock? Reply with quote

When I think about these passages about the shepherd as the protector of the flock, I can't help but think of how many times I have viewed members of the flock as my adversary instead of one who is entrusted to my protection and love. How many times when a sheep gets lost or goes against our direction as the shepherd do we say, "Serves them right. They deserve what they get."? Should we not instead go after that sheep and even comfort them when they suffer due to their own folly?

I must admit I have often viewed certain people of the flock as my adversaries. I have avoided them because they aren't easy to get along with. I have failed to love them as Christ does. I have failed to feed them.

I think my problem has been perspective and acknowledgement of the fact that I am called to shepherd ALL the sheep, even the stubborn and needy ones, perhaps ESPECIALLY the stubborn and needy ones. I pray that God would give all of us the grace and strength needed to effectively shepherd ALL the sheep entrusted to our care.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: