The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Can "Shepherd" even be grasped in today's American

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navychap

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Can "Shepherd" even be grasped in today's American Reply with quote

As I read the opening chapters of this book, I wondered if the idea of "Shepherd" that is conveyed in the Bible is within the grasp of our modern church culture, and if it can be understood by the culture outside of the church.
As the book describes in the first three chapters, the culture from which the scriptures emerged was steeped in the Shepherd metaphor. The good shepherd was a key component in the wealth of the family, as the care of the sheep directly impacted the economic stability of the family. Additionally, leaders throughout the ancient middle east culture took the shepherd metaphor to convey their perspective on how they saw themselves as a leader. The people they led fully understood this metaphor.
Can today's church culture grasp the metaphor? Sheep are kept in fenced in fields and cages. Shepherd's no longer sleep at night with their flocks to protect them from danger. For the vast majority of American Christians, to see a flock of sheep is close to a novelty, but rarely will a shepherd be seen by the flock.
So has the term lost it's meaning, and become an empty cliche in the church? Like many cliches, we may need to unpack this metaphor in a much more descriptive manner if we are to have an impact on those who see "Good Shepherd ____________ Church" (whatever the denomination). Does the average passerby understand that the Shepherd is needed because of the blind wandering of the sheep? Do they know that without the Shepherd, the sheep will become little more than a meal for the wolves of the world?
What metaphors in today's world can help us unpack this metaphor in a way that carries the depth in the ancient world?
malcorn33

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: The applicability of the shepherd metaphor in today's world Reply with quote

I agree that it is a challenge to convey to our people the shepherd metaphor. It is even more of a challenge because people don't realize that they are sheep and how sheep tend to respond to their shepherd.

To elaborate, I was talking to my wife the other night about how and why people, as individual congregations, follow an unscrupulous leader in a self-serving direction. She asked why people "drink the Kool Aid" and follow certain people who are "bad" and selfish shepherds. I told her that, by nature, people are sheep. Sheep follow the shepherd they are given. With some exceptions, people will generally follow the shepherd wherever they lead, even if it is into danger or along unrighteous paths. Sheep trust their shepherd. They give him the benefit of the doubt and believe he wouldn't be in the position he is in were he not a good shepherd.

Also, few want to "rock the boat" or be the "squeaky wheel" if they don't see the wisdom in the shepherd's leadership. So, flocks simply follow their shepherd wherever he leads. For this reason, shepherds must be ever vigilant to lead as God calls us to and not according to our ego or personal agendas. We have a high calling and an equally high responsibility. We also do well to teach our flock to us accountable and to hold our teaching up against Scripture. We must teach people to be discerning sheep who do not blindly follow their shepherds. They must discern who are God's selfless shepherds who are ones after God's own heart.
westonw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: The Missing Strength of the Shepherd Reply with quote

I agree with you both and think that's what missing is the strength of the shepherd. Today "shepherd' is an out of date term in the secular world and those that get it think of an anemic pastorate. Reading the first section of this book I was impressed at how strong the image of shepherd was. This was not a sacred title, it was a title used of kings and rulers, complete with military connotations. Today secular rulers are known as "commanders in chief" and sacred leaders are known as "pastors." Very few if asked could give the background to what pastor means, except as a leader of a church.
This is not to say that more pastors need to be more militant or controlling, certainly there are too many militant, manipulating, pastors. Too many have led the flock to do what you've said and drink the "kool aid." But, what is the response of the orthodox pastorate? Nothing, why? Because it seems that perhaps we too have bought into this anemic self-image. We sit idly by unaware of our call to guard and protect. I think that we could stand to recover the strength of this metaphor and live it out in the protection of the flock of God.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: