The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Rights of the Shepherd

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaplain Cline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Rights of the Shepherd Reply with quote

Pastors and ministers are frequently giving benifits and privileges because of our job or status. We need to remember we "have no proprietary rights" (pg. 234) and abusing our privileges, espically at the expense of the "flock", indicates a lack of knowledge of who God is and "what is means to know [Him]" (p. 134).

In fulfillment of our role we may have to endure sacrifice for the sheep or for the Shepherd who calls us. Paul addressed this by saying "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interest of others" (Philippians 2.3-4).

Jesus put it this way: The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy: I ahve come that they may have life, and have it to the full. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep" (John 10.10-11).

Many people are willing to put their life on the line for someone else. But the real question is are they willing to make the daily sacrifices on behalf of others to demonstrate the compassion Jesus lived?

As a sheep, if God calls me to sacrifice my rights will I comply or resist? If my calling as a shepherd requires surrendering my rights, will I do so without holding a grudge against the one who benifits from my sacrifice?
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: