The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Pastoral Ministry and the Hippocratic Oath

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 8: The Shepherd Healer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesFalcone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Pastoral Ministry and the Hippocratic Oath Reply with quote

The actual task of caring for parishioners seems to be the biggest challenge for me in ministry. I was never asked to take the Hippocratic Oath, but I feel like I should have! Our goal is not only to “do no harm”, but guide parishioners into genuine discipleship. Generally speaking pastors will offer three sessions for counseling a specific parishioner with a specific problem. Sometimes the problem is only solved through referral, but other times the parishioners can solve it independently. Our care giving extends long after this time, but its wise to make the best of our time. It is an honor to be a caregiver, but it is also daunting. Sheep can face multiple illnesses, infestation, wander into dangerous situations, eat the wrong thing, brush near the wrong thing, starve, freeze, and even be depressed! In the same way our parishioners can go through health crises, psychological crises, financial crises, domestic violence crises and alcohol abuse. Yet in each of those circumstances, these issues can be alleviated by personal “touch”. On the physical level, “passing the peace” in church, or a “church hug” seems to have a dramatic effect on people. But more importantly “being in touch” on an intellectual level requires listening and empathy. I think this is the moment of healing, when parishioners realize they are loved and respected. Sometimes sheep need to be guided through a fence or two. Nothing makes me happier when lost sheep run back to the flock.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 8: The Shepherd Healer
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: