The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

A Gracious, "No"

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 21: Dogs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revjeff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: A Gracious, "No" Reply with quote

Not long ago I was at a gathering of pastors in my Presbyterian context. We were voting to confirm calls of new pastors to churches in our region. One of the pastors repeatedly refused to acknowledge Jesus Christ as the unique Savior and Lord. The only thing she could affirm for sure was "God is love." And in her view a loving God would choose other ways for people who stumble over Jesus. It was a slightly more thorough examination than most pastors undergo, but in the end her call was approved and she will begin pastoring a congregation nearby this fall. I find this to be a problem. But it is also a problem for me. I did not ask one question in the meeting. I didn't want people to pigeon hole me for asking probing questions where there was serious concern. In the end, I voted a quiet, no along with a few other people. One pastor next to be just didn't vote - although he asked some good questions. Afterwards, he regretted that and thanked me for a "gracious no vote." I wasn't exactly noisy and I certainly didn't hurt my reputation as a team player and someone who is collegial. But I wonder, was I a mute dog in the face of danger? How do I speak grace and truth and the truth in love in a politcally charged atmosphere?

Revjeff
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 21: Dogs
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: