The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Jesus the Great Leader

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Babu Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Jesus the Great Leader Reply with quote

“The Gospel writers introduce Jesus of Nazareth as a messianic figure in a variety of ways, but consistently in terms of ancient pastoral prototypes and in dialogue with the interpretive traditions that evolved from them” (p.172). The entire ministry of Jesus was based on leadership “as the father has sent me, and I also send you” (John 20:21).

In a most memorable demonstration of shepherd leadership, Jesus modeled with a towel and basin what he envisioned leadership to be: humbling oneself to serve another. To the disciples, foot washing was humiliating; but to the master it was the job description of a shepherd. “For I have given you an example that you should do as I have done to you.” Verily, verily I say until you, the servant is not greater than his Lord; neither had he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If you these things, happy are you if you do them.” (John 13:15-17).

Good shepherding is expressed by decisions and behaviors that benefit the “flock” often at great personal cost (p.248).The leadership of Jesus focused on individuals as he attempted to pour his life into them while transforming them to his disciples. His leadership focused on the word of God as the foundation for training, empowering, and serving. He understood his assignment; he knew his mission was short, and he realized his task was to reproduce himself in the lives of others who would complete his work.

The mark of shepherd leader is his ability to effectively influence and empower his followers. Jesus demonstrated his effectiveness as a leader by returning to his position in heaven. He was so confident in what he had accomplished that he transformed his authority and power into his followers to be protectors, providers, and guides.

Potential shepherd leaders should note that the Biblical concept of leadership is contrary to the leadership philosophy of this secular society. Sadly, many Christian organizations have adapted the worldview of leadership: followers serve leaders; the more who serve the leader, the greater the leader. Spiritual leadership positions were never indented to be positions of dominance or control. Shepherd leaders exist to empower the organization. Shepherd leadership at its best is leading by serving.

The supreme model for leadership, the Lord Jesus Christ says greatness is achieved by service. He demonstrated greatness by serving, not by being served. The greatest leader was known for his service. Great servants become great leaders with proper instruction, opportunity, and preparation. Great leaders never forget that it is their service that produces their greatness. Your service will make you great.
tphilabaum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Jesus the Great Leader Reply with quote

I am intrigued, as I get to know more "new" pastors, that the issue of self-care has become a prominent theme in Seminaries. The pendulum of unhealthy-self-denying as a view of shepherd leadership has swung to another side, where some see their shepherd leadership as a 40 hour work week.
I know the other side, the 24/7 "be all to all at all times" is also not healthy for the pastor or the pastor's family, but this is a calling, not just a job.
And often I see that what is lost (on either the work-a-holic side of the continium or the "I'll work a little side") is that connection with The Shepherd, and the devotional life.
And, if the Pastor cannot maintain both healthy boundaries and servant-leadership, how can he/she expect congregational members to do so in their work and faith life?
tphilabaum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good understanding of Jesus the servant / shepherdleader. The One who did not see washing of the disciples feet as humbling, but part of what He came for.

How did such leadership so quickly turn into power? It didn't take too long, as I read the story, that the Leaders in Jerusalem first were concerned that Paul was reaching out too fast, and that he needed to be brought in for conversation. When, thanks to the Holy Spirit, they rejoiced in what Paul was doing, the direction of the Church was set.

But Church history continues, and power in the leaders becomes not only a part of the Story, but part of secular history as well, even by getting "breaks" given by Constantine.

How different the Church would be if leadership from the beginning both followed the Shepherd Leader and took up the towel.
Babu Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,
Thanks for your valuable thoughts!

I would like to say, every leader should think that they are instruments in the Lord’s hand to help others have the opportunity to live their lives with greater significance and in relationship with God. Today, Spiritual leaders are being called into ministry after years in the business world. Those leaders want to bring all skills and talents of their market place to bear in kingdom enterprises. A minister’s ability is now measured by manage budgets, recruit and lead personnel, develop ministry programs, provide corporate vision, garner new customers, and communicate inspirational and instructional messages in daily living to church attendees. This model has reached its pinnacle of development with rise of the “mega” church.

As the psalmist says, “The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it, the world, and those who live in it” (Psalm 24:1). The creation belongs to God. We have been given responsibility to care for it, lovingly tend it, and responsibly use it. When, in our brokenness, we hoard resources, violate and plunder the earth carelessly and greedily; when we take more than we need at the expense of others, it violates God's intention for the human community.

However,Don’t we believe that we are called in the Spirit to account for the hope that is within us through Jesus Christ? We should commit ourselves to seek a righteous shepherd leadership life style to establish the kingdom of God. I believe that the transforming power of the church is its God given authority to carry our spiritual warfare, proclaim the love of God through the word of God and exercise discipline.

“You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today - Abraham Lincoln.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: