The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Fat and the lean sheep

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Babu Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Fat and the lean sheep Reply with quote

Many times I read Ezekiel chapter 34 and preached from it. But now (after reading this book) I have many thoughts regarding the corrupt leadership and the flock. Many fantastic ideas are revealed from this book is valuable and insightful. Laniak says, “There is an animal higherarchy in a mixed flock; males (rams and bucks) typically dominate females, and goats naturally dominate sheep” (p. 156). Very interesting proposition! I think the animals do not have any intellectual capacities to acquire knowledge; they are following the creation order with out any problem.

“Therefore this is what the sovereign Lord says to them: See I myself will judge between the fat sheep and the lean sheep” (Ez.34:20). However, are not these “fat” and “lean’’ sheep metaphors for believers? Like in Amos (4:1), “Hear this word, you cows of Bashan who are on the mountain of Samaria, who oppress the poor, who crush the needy.” Or is it talking about the injustice of leader who cares the rich (fat) and ignore the (poor)?

I think social injustice is a very serious issue in the sight of the Lord. This is echoed in Matthew 25:41-46 which depicts the eschatological fate of those who do and do not show concern for their fellow men, specifically to the ‘least of these’ (Mt. 25:45), in which Jesus is referring to those in need such as the hungry or thirsty or a strangers or those in need or the sick or those in prison. This clearly stands in opposition to ‘butting all the weak sheep with your horns until you have driven them away’ (Ezek. 34:21). With salvation of his flock at the fore, Ezekiel speaks of ‘the saving event which Yahweh is to bring about is the heart of man (Ezek. 36:24-28), and of the promise of Yahweh to bring a new shepherd and ultimately a new covenant of peace.

Well, pastoral ministry is not shaped by our knowledge rather by the gospel and the God of the gospel. Pastors or leaders are called by God. It is a joint venture work of Jesus in partnership with the Father and the Holy Spirit as well as those believers called to serve Him. If one is to seek a biblical foundation for pastoral care, with an understanding of Jesus as the promised ‘Good Shepherd’ (Jn. 10:11; 14) with whom God would enact His care, as the ‘Chief Shepherd’ (1 Peter 5:4), we need look no further than Jesus Himself. Pastoral work originates in and is shaped by the revelation of God in Jesus Christ.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: