The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The importance of background information

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liehsu07059

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: The importance of background information Reply with quote

Images or metaphors or the objects used in a story will only make sense if the readers or audiences understood what those actually are. One time, a missionary in Northwest China told a group of mountain people Jesus’ miracle - [Five loafs and Two fishes], the missionary quickly noticed from their eyes, the message did not get to his audiences. Finally, an old man raised his hand said - [we understood what you said about the loaf, but what the fish looks like? Is this like a big ox or cow, otherwise, how could two such things be enough to feed 5,000 people?]

Those mountain people have never seen the fish in their life because there are no lake or river in the mountains they live, but the good thing is they dare to ask the question – [What is the fish?] Born and raised in the urban world and live in post-modernity, I have always taken the words [Pastor] as a job title and taken [shepherd], [shepherding] as job functions offered by the person whose title is [Pastor]. Those are just plain terminology to me without actual meaning associated with it. That is, I did not fully understand the actual meaning of the shepherd and shepherding, until I read the books [Shepherds after My own Heart] by Timothy S. Laniak.

As page 33 of Chapter One said [Appreciating metaphors and their associated commonplaces requires a certain level of cultural competence], I appreciated very much that the author provided a set of rich cultural and pastoral realities background information on how and why Bible used Shepherd image as the metaphors to connect the relationship between God and His people; and to connect God’s chosen leaders with his people. Without such understanding of the shepherd and shepherding, when we pick up the responsibility as a shepherd (either in the family or in the church), we will unconsciously fall into our limited understanding of how to be a shepherd to shepherd our children, or to shepherd the flocks God has entrusted on us.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: