The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The Liquid Leader

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 29: Following the Leader
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterlim23

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: The Liquid Leader Reply with quote

I believe our preconceived definitions of leadership limit our effectiveness as leaders. Much of the literature that is out there about leadership and the cultural forces that exert influence talk about leadership in very stiff terms. Leadership is often promoted as something that is done from the front. A leader is to cast vision and persuade people to follow. Other literature talks about leading from the back, being a servant and an encourager of others.

In reading Day 29, it reaffirms my understanding of leadership, which I believe is fluid, like liquid. Depending on the situation, liquid can be calm or be an incredible force. Dr. Laniak's word study of leading (Nahal, Nakhah and Nahag) is profound. It reinforces the idea that leadership needs to shift depending on the context, situation and what needs to be done.

Often times on a team hiking excursion, I find myself at the front of the hike at the beginning. At a certain point, I find myself at the back of the pack, encouraging the folks who are struggling. I then move to the middle of the pack to see how everyone there are doing. I then move back to the front to ensure that we arrive at the proper destination. I think this is what leadership of the church looks like. Sometimes, I need to lead from the front, sometimes I need to lead from the back and sometimes I need to lead from the side. Liquid, fluid leadership.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 29: Following the Leader
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: