The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Single vs. Whole

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 8: The Shepherd Healer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterlim23

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Single vs. Whole Reply with quote

One line jumped out at me in Day 8. It reads, "The health issues of a single member are health issues for a whole flock." This is actually a profound statement because in it are two realities that are both true.

On a positive, if one person is physically, emotionally or mentally ill, I do believe that it is the call of the church to surround that person and provide care and compassion. It is what Paul calls us to do in 1 Cor. 12:25 - 26, "But that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it." I mentioned this in the "Wilderness" section but in 2009 I was physically suffering. I was barely able to sit up let alone walk. I was in great pain for several months recovering from open heart surgery. During this painful time, my community came and surrounded me and it gave me so much hope and encouragement to persevere. The love and warmth that I felt when member after member came to visit me was absolutely incredible.

But on a negative side, I know that there are certain people with certain spiritual illness that can singlehandedly bring down a community. Two years ago, I had to let go of a staff member because of his constant lies. I knew clearly that having him continue to be part of the leadership would effect the spiritual health of the flock in detrimental ways.

As a shepherd of my flock, this statement that "The health issues of a single member are health issues for a whole flock" has a profound tension that must be navigated because both in the positive and negative is true.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 8: The Shepherd Healer
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: