The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Do You Love Your People?

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 2: PROVISION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Hampson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Do You Love Your People? Reply with quote

The question, “what does it take to be a shepherd?” from the chapter on Provision, was a penetrating one for me. When I was first called into ministry, I must admit that I did not know what it took. I thought I knew, but in reality I was totally unaware. I knew a pastor had to preach and counsel and lead and serve and visit and be available and I was fairly good at each one of those things. But when I encountered sheep that bite, I did not always respond in a pastoral kind of way. I never let it show to the people, but it was very evident one day when I shared my frustrations about my congregation with my District Superintendent. In that moment as I was pouring out my heart, my DS looked up and asked me a question that haunted me for a long time. He asked, “David, do you love your people?” In that moment of truth I did not answer quickly for I realized that he had nailed me with something that I would have never admitted on my own. I desperately wanted to say, “of course I love my people,” but the reality and the ugly truth was that I did not love them like I should. I was functioning much more like a hired hand who would be quick to abandon the sheep if they did not get their act straightened out.

I will always be grateful to my DS because he gave me a wake up call. His words challenged me to examine my heart and even more to present my heart to God and ask Him as the Psalmist said to, “Search me, O God, and know heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” The change was not overnight but there was a change. I began to have a heart for the people of God like I had never had before. I would love to say that this is the end of the story but the truth is having God’s heart has been an ongoing issue for me. I have to seek His heart for His people on a frequent basis. The good news is that God is continually faithful to fill me with His love and mercy for those He has placed in my care.

During the last 25 years of ministry I have learned more and more about the value of a shepherd’s heart. I have come to the conclusion that having a shepherd’s heart is far more important than almost all other aspects of ministry. As important as right doctrine and anointed teaching and spirit-filled worship are in the church, (please do not get me wrong they are each very important) nothing can replace having a shepherd’s heart. Because it is through that heart that God is most clearly seen and experienced. And more than anything, in the midst of struggle and heartache and pain and hopelessness - people need to see the Lord.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 2: PROVISION
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: