The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Do Sheep need to be put down?

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 8: The Shepherd Healer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GCTSgcowper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Do Sheep need to be put down? Reply with quote

Day 8: The Shepherd Healer. Jesus went about healing the needy people that he met. He demonstrated a loving compassionate heart for people. Jesus touched people and they were physically and spiritually healed by his spoken words and physical touch. Jesus did heal with hands. Shepherds touch and provide remedies to heal.
Laniak points out “Shepherding involves touch.” The shepherds would regularly inspect their sheep by physical contact. Good Shepherds were able to analyze, assess, and diagnose problems by touching their sheep. They offered regular physical contact. The shepherd would treat the known problems with the proper healing remedy.
How easy it is for me to hide away in my study to read theologically enriching books, to write spiritually empowered sermons and to reflect and pray. However, I need to take time to be in physical contact with my sheep. I need to be out in the fields (homes, hospitals, and community) so that I can be aware of disgruntled people who are disillusioned and dying spiritually. Those diseases can negatively impact the flock. Jesus did heal many of their diseases.
I often wonder about the rich young ruler and Pontius Pilate who had opportunity to be touched. They chose otherwise. Sometimes my sheep don’t want to take their prescribed medicine. I would suspect that unlike Jesus a Shepherd is not always successful in nursing a sheep back to health. I speculate that even a knowledgeable shepherd with the skill and resourcefulness of many traditional remedies fails to save all his sheep. On occasion, for the sake of the flock, some sheep do have to be put in quarantine and perhaps ultimately “put down”.
Dr. Timothy Laniak poses a great question, “Is there some way to quarantine (remove from positions of influence) those who are contagious?” Fortunately, I’ve never “put down” a sheep but sometimes the diseased sheep will remove themselves. However, if the diseased sheep doesn’t wander off we need to be prepared to address the potentially damaging issue by pointing out the disease. We need to offer remedies and solutions. This is not a popular or an easy task. It is critically important for a shepherd leader who cares for the flock to try to ensure flock health. Often times when I have had diseased sheep leave I have been torn apart inside. I miss the people but not the disease. I can think of several situations where people have left and I miss them immensely but I don’t miss the drama or the negative aspects of their influence on the health of my congregation.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 8: The Shepherd Healer
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: