The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Jesus: The Good Shepherd

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
preacheral

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Jesus: The Good Shepherd Reply with quote

Even though we have no record of him literally “keeping sheep” Jesus is still the quintessential shepherd.

How do we know this? Because He tells us He is.

“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” Jesus defines “good” as a shepherd who is willing to sacrifice his own life. A pretty good shepherd might fight off a wolf or two but if a whole pack of wolves came - most shepherds are going to “high-tail-it” out of there! Why would you DIE for a bunch of sheep?!? It defies logic - surely even a single human life is worth more than a hundred sheep! I think Jesus was going for some shock value. He knew that the analogy was being stretched from a human point of view but he was trying to help the disciples see the radical nature of his commitment and the sacrificial nature of his love. From a divine perspective it makes even less sense for the “only son of the Father” to die for a bunch of helpless, sinful humans. After all Paul says that we were “God’s enemies”(Rmns5.10). Does it make any logical sense to die for an enemy? Wouldn’t you normally seek to do the exact opposite? Kill your enemy before they kill you! Jesus is constantly reversing our human wisdom. His is an upside-down kingdom.

What are the implications of this upside-down kingdom for ministry? I think Jesus often spoke in radical ways to shock people out of their complacency. He was always trying to help them question the status quo. In my own ministry I need to strive to be more bold. When was the last time I said something that really surprised people or shocked them? Sometimes I feel like my preaching is just presenting the party like and I craft my words so that I don’t offend anyone. It’s acting out of fear and a desire to please rather than out of faith and a conviction of the truth.

I also have to ask myself if I have the same commitment to the sheep that Jesus demonstated on the cross. Would I really “lay-down my life” for my congregation? Not just in a dramatic once-in-a-lifetime kind of way but in a day-to-day sense? I am pretty guarded and protective of “my time” and “my space” and “my family” - when might the Lord being calling me to sacrifice them for the sake of the sheep he has given me to shepherd? Yes it is more blessed to give than receive and someday every sacrifice of time and effort will be rewarded and that is a great comfort. Yet shouldn’t I also be a good steward of my body and my spirit and not allow myself to get burned out in which case I would of little help to anyone. Shouldn’t I be a good pastor to my family first and not sacrifice them on the altar of my ministerial vocation? I often think that I would rather fail as a pastor to my church than fail as a pastor to my family. But is that a selfish attitude? I had lunch with another pastor the other day and he said, “No one realizes the pressures of this career. I’m not complaining because I enjoy my work but no one really understands how draining this work can be.” Yes we are called to be faithful under-shepherds but we must not fall into the trap of thinking that we are their savior. There is only one Savior - only one “Good Shepherd”. He has already done everything necessary to save the sheep. All I am really called to do is point the sheep toward the one, true “Good Shepherd”.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: