The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Shepherds After My Own Heart: Moses as Shepherd

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
preacheral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Shepherds After My Own Heart: Moses as Shepherd Reply with quote

The figure of Moses is an interesting biblical model of shepherding. Moses was a shepherd for FORTY years! That's a full career for most people in today's world but normally when we think of Moses it seems more like a side job. But undoubtedly it shaped his thinking and the way he approached leading God's flock of the children of Israel. David comes to mind more often as the quintessential shepherd but in terms of sheer number of years I would imagine Moses has him beat! (although judging years with David's career is a tricky thing.)

Professor Laniak's insight into the different verbs used to describe how a shepherd led his sheep offers a lot of fodder for "sermonizing". There are times as a leader when you need to "gently lead" ["nhl"] (I'm not sure I really understand the distinction between "nhl" and "nhh" - gently lead vs. guide). Who might be the "nursing ewes" of my flock? Should we be more sensitive and gentle in leading those who are take responsibility for caring for others? The shepherd has to know his flock well and to have an extra amount of compassion and patience with those who have burdensome responsibilities in other contexts - either at home or in their daily work or other volunteer venues.

I was convicted recently that I can easily become too judgemental toward folks who don't show up for a particular program or bible study or other meeting. I often assume the worst when in fact they may have a very valid, godly reason for not attending that particular event. I notice that this unhealthy attitude is even more prevalent when I take too much personal ownership of that event. When a church program or event becomes "my" event or "my" ministry then it's easy to take somone's absence as a personal affront. A "nhl" kind of shepherding would assume the best of others' motives and assume that they're probably doing exactly what God wants them to be doing at that particular moment.

Sometimes in the church we create so many "meetings" and "meetings to plan other meetings" that we sap our people of life and the time they need to develop healthy relationships. Instead of requiring a member to spend hours and hours planning a series of "parenting workshops" maybe we would be better off freeing them of all that time in committees and sending them back home to have some quality time with their children. I know of one church that has a very active and committed membership but they don't have Sunday School becasue they don't want to take time away from family worship and time for parents to give their kids biblical instruction. Perhaps we should be more intentional about encouraging moms and dads to spend more time with their children. I'm a big proponent of the family being the central context of spiritual formation.

Perhaps I should expect less from parents of young children and challenge the "retired, golfing set" to pick up more of the slack in meeting the needs of the Body. Perhaps the "non-nursing ewes" need more of the "driving/herding" approah [nhg]. But should we really lead people to a place "against their will"? Doesn't the analogy begin to break down? At some point each person has to decide for themselves if they will submit to that leadership.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: