The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Driven to Distraction

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 11: Gathering the Scattered
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GCTSnormyeater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Driven to Distraction Reply with quote

Storms have a distracting effect. For those fearful of storms, there is a preoccupation with watching the signs of destruction - lighting, and wind. For others the storm is little more than background sound, which simply indicates that its going to rain. Depending upon the volume of the storm or the fearfulness of those around us, all are or will become aware that a storm is bearing down.

Finding myself in the midst of congregational and relational storms, puts me in the mode of sitting back and watching to see what is going to happen. Its not as if I am looking for a safeplace - an eye of the storm, but for a place to become invisible. From a perch of unaffected carelessness, this pastor's heart can become become passive, hardened and neglectful.

Dr. Laniak gives a graphic illustration of the 'hireling' who runs away in the storm and connects it with the neglectful leadership in Ezekiel's (34)time. He writes, "...distraction with their own concerns had led to neglect of the flock, a passive expression of abuse. (84)" While God is the Great Shepherd of the sheep, I should be aware of the ways that I neglect the care and keeping of the flock by running for a safeplace in the middle of stormy relations.

May my resolve to gather the scattered be found not in a heart set upon simply doing the right thing, but within a purpose to serve and honor the Shepherd.
gcts\mmccrum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: I Understand the Storm! Reply with quote

Hey Norm, I appreciate your openness about the storm experiences. I have a tendency to want to hide, withdraw or be afraid when the winds and rains of leadership pound the roof of my soul...Last May a tornado hit our subdivision and our house was destroyed. As I watched the workers tear down the remaining walls and remove the debris from our physical house, I began to see how God had brought storms in to my life this year for my good--to tear down the old and rebuild the new, for his glory! In about a week we hope to move in to our new home, paid for by insurance. God took something bad and turned it into good--imagine that! In about three weeks we join again for our cohort in Charlotte. For me this DMin has been a safe time of rebuilding of my soul...I'm so glad that he has used you to be a part of my new spiritual growth!
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 11: Gathering the Scattered
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: