The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The dog I never had

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 21: Dogs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill H

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: The dog I never had Reply with quote

When I used to visit my grandparents farm as a boy, I would occasionally take the bus that dropped me off at the top of a road perhaps 2 miles from my destination. From time to time, heading to the farm or from the farm on the rural roadway, an uninvited companion would accompany me; a gorgeous black and white collie .I was shadowed by a sheepdog. I imagined that he was Black Bob, the sheepdog hero of children’s stories I enjoyed .His tag revealed his real name, long forgotten now. It seemed that this dog was intent on keeping an eye on me. He wanted to ensure I made it safely down the road to the farm. When I was returning home and walking the winding road to the bus, he would appear midway apparently to ensure that I safely boarded the bus. This sheepdog seemed to be committed to my safety.
Sheepdogs are not only committed to the safety of the flock (and wandering boys!) They are used by the shepherd to round up the sheep. I used to marvel at the ability of dogs to drive the sheep through a prescribed course during the sheepdog trials. I watched sheepdog trials on T.V. but better by far was to watch them live. The shepherd with a few whistles and command would direct the dog who would herd the sheep through a system of gates and fences and around the field.
“The routine responsibility for herding dogs is keeping the flock together.” (Laniak, p.146) The pastor has a God ordained function to keep the flock of God together by preserving the unity of the Spirit.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 21: Dogs
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: