The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The Rod of God

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 23: The Rod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdavelee

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: The Rod of God Reply with quote

Everyday for the past nearly two weeks, I have driven past a building with the words "Rod of God Ministries" emblazoned across its front. I considered it a distastefully unfriendly name for a ministry, but upon reading this devotion I can see the potential beauty of that name (which is to say nothing, positive or negative, about the ministry of which I have no knowledge).

The shepherd's rod served the purpose of defending, inspecting, and correcting the sheep. Pastoral fantasies notwithstanding, we shepherds are not given a physical rod with which to do our work, so I struggled to find some parallels to the rod in our context today.

One possible parallel might be words. God so often gives pastors the gift of words. He also adds to that gift a certain heaviness of authority. When shepherds speak, it can carry great power. We ought to use our words only for God's purposes and for the benefit of those we shepherd. I confess that in anger or frustration I have used words to wound and tear down.

Another possible parallel to the rod might be the power, authority, or influence God gives pastors. I still marvel at the fact that my parishioners can feel nervous when I walk in the room. It amazes me that a room full of my peers will sit quietly and let me speak for 45 minutes into their lives. Coming from an Asian heritage, I am uncomfortable with how readily my people show me respect and deference. At times, in my desire to be just one of the people, I forget that few of my actions are neutral or private. I wield influence even when I don't intend to. It is an awesome responsibility that must be stewarded for God's glory and the benefit of his people.

In the same way that the familiar symbol of the rod was stylized in royal courts as a symbol of kingly authority, the rods today's pastors wield may be polished and beautiful, but they are not decorative. We must continue to wield the rod with faithfulness as good shepherds.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 23: The Rod
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: