The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Attentive to the environment and flock

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 38: Adaptability
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Kipfer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Attentive to the environment and flock Reply with quote

I appreciate Bob’s call for balance between adaptability and intentionality. In my growth as a pastor, I have learned to be less adaptable in some ways (trying to accommodate every suggestion posed at youth group meetings, for example, is a recipe for chaos!). At this point, my skills in strategic planning still need developing far more than my ability to respond to interruptions.

Still, I think that the first two sections of this chapter speak to a different type of adaptability - one that is highly relevant for both short and long-term planning. The first puts stress on the changing environment of the wilderness. To give strategic leadership to our flock requires attentiveness to the context. That does not mean changing direction with every change of the wind - but the prosperity of the flock depends on a wise assessment of the territory. The second section highlights God’s adaptability in the relation to his people as a whole. Again, this is not so much about abandoning or interrupting the larger plan, but adjusting strategy so that the people actually arrive in the Promised Land. When my leadership team and I make plans, we can usually count on overlooking something in the environment or in the flock that has a bearing on our goals. Sometimes we need to make adjustments, sometimes we need to press on into the wind - but we do need to pay attention and seek wisdom from the Chief Shepherd.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 38: Adaptability
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: