The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

A grace-produced crop

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 33: Productivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Kipfer

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: A grace-produced crop Reply with quote

I appreciate the emphasis in the day’s reading (and in the web postings) on the organic relationship between spiritual productivity and the activity of the Holy Spirit as we abide in Christ. As I read the first few pages of this chapter, I began feeling increasing internal pressure to ratchet up my productivity and increase my output (I was reading at the end of a long day!). Then I turned the page - and happily read Dr. Laniak’s reminder about the source of lasting fruit. I praise God that he is the one who produces the harvest - not me.

To what extent are sheep and goats aware of their own productivity? Not very much. As they graze on nourishing food and drink from fresh streams, their wool (or hair) grows, muscles develop, and mammary systems produce milk - all without conscious effort. As disciples of Jesus, we have a higher degree of responsibility, of course. We cannot snack on empty spiritual calories or feed on weeds and expect to produce well. Leading up to his famous “Fruit of the Spirit” verses in Galatians 5, Paul urges his readers: “Live by the Spirit...and do not gratify the desires of the flesh.” It makes a difference in the harvest! I cannot create a harvest, but I can stay connected to the Source of life - and challenge my flock to do the same: to feed on God’s word, to drink deeply of the Holy Spirit and to follow the Good Shepherd.

I like the advice to ask trusted colleagues for feedback on our spiritual productivity, recognizing that where the crop is spotty, we need to focus on our underlying patterns of eating and drinking (and our relationship with the Lord of the harvest) rather than scramble for quick, artificial results that may look good and shiny on the outside, but leave a bad taste in the mouth when sampled.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 33: Productivity
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: