The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The source of our authority

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 23: The Rod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Kipfer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: The source of our authority Reply with quote

What gives us authority to bear the rod? At a very basic level, it is embedded in our call as shepherd. Still, in a culture that is wary of authority, I think it is helpful to understand a connection between chapters 23 (The rod) and 24 (A living sacrifice). We may bear the rod by virtue of our position as shepherd, yet our discipline gains credibility by the extent to which we ourselves are poured out as a living sacrifice. Why would sheep submit to our rod? Because we ourselves have submitted to the rod (or “knife”!) of God and are ready to die for the sake of our Saviour and the sheep which he has entrusted to us. I like to think that my children have little trouble accepting my authority because they have no doubt about the love which it expresses. I can accept that “leading means bleeding” in the kingdom of God because Jesus himself has saved us by his own blood. I have noticed that when I exercise discipline in the church, those who receive it best are those who have already seen me working for their interests in other ways.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 23: The Rod
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: