The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Imagination and leadership

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 16: While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cliff Fletcher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Imagination and leadership Reply with quote

"You can't afford losses dues to a 'failure of imagination'" (p.116). This line reminded me of some poetic and gritty wisdom in Shane Claiborne's "Irresistible Revolution": "war is for those who have lost their imagination". "Imagination" defined is a clear mental picture of what could be, and it implies creativity. The word imagination has a positive feel to it, and even an inspiring feel. If this is the meaning of imagination (what could be, creative, positive, inspiring) then imagination is absolutely integral to leadership. So my next thought or question then is 'am I imaginative in my leadership'? How can I check?

When I am tired in ministry then creativity goes out the window. I become more concerned with present realities, and issues then with foresight / vision. Tiredness can steal imagination. So am I tired? On the other hand conflict can be a place imagination is practiced. Do I avoid conflict or embrace it with imagination? Time away from God (because of busy-ness, laziness, dryness, etc) will immediately impact vision in ministry. Time with God will give me window into 'what could be'. How is my time with God?

If leadership is watching and nurturing spiritual imagination then it is important to learn to dream God's dreams, practice creativity (perhaps grow it like a muscle), celebrate potential and allow the 'what could be' to inspire me and those I lead.
Margaret

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Imagination or reality? Reply with quote

Thanks for your reminder and definition regarding imagination. Having come from the 60's drug culture I tend to define imagination as the antithesis to reality. Yet living in God's reality is certainly another world.I recently took a personality test that asked about whether I was imaginative (I had to answer with a definitive 'no' because to me the word implied something other that what is real...even though my mind lingers more often in God's world and not this one). However, I liked your reminder that we need to nurture imagination in leaders. I looked at pg116 and the footnoted reference...I certainly need to redefine imagination in my mind so I can enter the conversation and be on the same page regarding the word and the need to employ it in all we do. We do need to enter into that reality that is God's, with a healthy imagination and a confidence that in that place we will find the vision and insight, and discernment from him to accomplish getting the 'flock' safely cared for, nurtured, and home.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 16: While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: