The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Tagging along with the Good Shepherd

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 3: Called to Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Kipfer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Tagging along with the Good Shepherd Reply with quote

I love the story of Pastor Jamie’s call - especially the way in which his identity as a shepherd is inextricably bound to the desperate need of the drowning sheep. It also scares me! It reminds me how much is at stake and it triggers my own sense of responsibility. Thankfully, we are not left alone to rescue sheep on our own; we are part of a community of shepherds serving under the Great Shepherd who does the actual rescuing!

In late 2007, I was frequently feeling “weary in well-doing.” A number of events challenged me to remember and reclaim my call. In addition to some encouraging new ministry opportunities that emerged in our community, one of the most powerful experiences came in the midst of a pastor-congregation review - run using an appreciative inquiry model. As I met with various focus groups in the church, I heard story after story of God’s presence and work in our midst. It was wonderful to hear about God’s blessing in situations in which I had played no role at all; it was also good to hear about ways in which God had touched others through my ministry in ways beyond my previous awareness. The cumulative effect was to remind me that God’s plan for the growth of his flock and the provision of green pasture is so much greater than anything I could put together on my own. Our Good Shepherd provides for his sheep exceedingly well. I really just need to tag along, keep my eyes open - and be ready to carry as the Lord gives strength or be carried myself.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 3: Called to Care
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: