The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Reflection 1: The Shepherd as God's Care Officer

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darrenjpollock

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:05 am    Post subject: Reflection 1: The Shepherd as God's Care Officer Reply with quote

Timothy Laniak introduces us to the tapestry of biblical imagery around the shepherd, painted as the central metaphor for God's relationship with his people and church. We are introduced to this office of care as the world of the shepherd is brought to life through topography, fauna and flora, and I am led to trace their dusty footprints from the sun-baked hills of the ancient Near East to the pastures of my place, time and ministry.

Laniak highlights the shepherd's intimate knowledge and care of the flock through their ability to navigate challenging landscapes and unwavering commitment to their charges' well-being (p. 16). In doing so, the connection is made to the shepherd's role of care, representing the essence of God’s love, protection, and guidance to his people. For God as shepherd, this extends beyond physical provision and protection and looks to the flock's spiritual nourishment and guidance (Deuteronomy 8:3).

Drawing lines to my own theological experience and desires for spiritual comfort, direction, and guidance through life's hills, Laniak’s opening chapters brought comfort as they spoke of the God of the Bible, not as a distant deity, but as a present, watchful caregiver, intimately acquainted with the bleating needs of His flock as well as myself.

Laniak's words unveil a picture of the shepherd, not merely as a figure of authority but one rooted in profound understanding, sacrifice and care. As I realise my limitations in ministry, I seek to learn how to care for these sheep in my charge in a way that reflects the depth and nuance of the shepherd under the shepherd.

It is humbling to think of oneself as an under-shepherd to God with his flock. I hope the self-sacrifice, care, and protection embodied by the shepherd of the Bible will be at the forefront of my mind as I seek to develop my care ministry.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: