The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Contemporary Metaphors for Shepherd

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PastorMark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:22 pm    Post subject: Contemporary Metaphors for Shepherd Reply with quote

In the epilogue of Shepherds after My Own Heart, Laniak invites and challenges readers to find dynamic equivalents of the shepherd metaphor that capture the essence of pastoral imagery for their contemporary context. I agree that a mix of metaphors is needed “to convey the same set of interrelated notions the biblical writers communicated with pastoral imagery” (p. 253). In keeping with the agrarian theme, perhaps rancher or cowboy would be the closest equivalent to shepherd in American society today. However, since only a small segment of the population has any meaningful contact with these roles, they likely have limited resonance in contemporary culture.

Other metaphors communicate the essence of pastoring more relevantly with a broader audience. In my experience, some of the metaphors that both capture key aspects of what being a pastor involves and connect meaningfully with people inside and outside of the church are: leader, coach, CEO, dad, ambassador, priest, and guide. While each of these role designations includes central tasks involved in pastoring, they also lack essential dimensions of shepherding. Therefore, despite few in modern America having any personal contact with literal shepherds, perhaps the metaphor of pastor is still to be preferred to other alternatives due to its more full-orbed imagery.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: