The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Trust and Verify!

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 17: Recognizing the Wolves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambassador_of_Hope

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Trust and Verify! Reply with quote

Day 17 Recognizing the Wolves

I find it easy to trust. That has not always been helpful. In past years I was an easy setup for wolves. A coworker provided constructive criticism as a part of our annual review process some 15 years ago. He wrote; “Dave, you’ve got to be more skeptical of people.” I took his rebuke to heart and started to trust less and verify more. I’m still standing today because of his counsel. Thank you Jeff Summers!

As for wolves, I believe they come in many shapes, sizes and colors. I’ve found some are intentional and some are not, but regardless the result is the same. I’ve named five categories that I think help with the verification process of people. 1. Empty or their identity is found in something or someone. This one can drown everyone trying to hold on. 2. Smooth or Selfish Ambition drives too much. High view of self but is critical of others. A culture killer. 3. Always Good or delusional optimism doesn’t take into account there is a time for all seasons. Can be counter productive. 4. Use or a manipulator who will stretch the truth or tell lies to influence an outcome to their own advantage, at the expense of others. 5. Opportunist is one who sidesteps experience and growth, allowing others to do their bidding. Steps over others to achieve advancement.

Wolves may use one or more techniques to get what they want. As a Shephard, my job is to to insist that all come through the gate to be scrutinized before given access to the sheep. Trust and Verify. The cost of neglect or passiveness is regret.

Dave Dassoulas
dave@hopebuilders.com
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 17: Recognizing the Wolves
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: