The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Cared for and Called to Care

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 3: Called to Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mizpah Steve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Cared for and Called to Care Reply with quote

A powerful idea from the opening lengthy quote is its last line. “But a good shepherd can counter every affliction.” Sounds similar to Biblical Counseling covered quite thoroughly in the Scott and Lambert book, Counseling the Hard Cases. One of my new prayers is, “O Lord, as your under-shepherd, help me to counter every affliction and may we together pick up the pieces to your glory when I fall short.”

Laniak writes about a young English family man who was in business. He got really muddy rescuing a wandering ewe from a murky river down an embankment. While completing this seemingly self-appointed task, he perceived God saying, “Jamie, this is my plan for your life: to rescue my lost sheep, one at a time.” Jamie cared. Because he cared enough to get involved and really dirty and personally inconvenienced, God called. Jamie’s real life’s work began and a new ministry was born. Jamie cared.

While in the Holy Land I saw sheep being cared for in many places. Sometimes this was near people’s homes and villages. Other times I saw sheep being cared for on distant hillsides. The common thread was - they were being cared for. Someone was providing the care needed in all its expressions. Even as the Lord cares for us, so are Christians to care for one another, particularly pastors as under-shepherds serving the Divine Shepherd.

Caring is the key.

Laniak points out Old Testament examples of shepherds who God called to lead his people; those like David, Abraham and Moses, Of course the New Testament example is Jesus. Then Laniak expresses concern for those who may have been in ministry a long time and have become weary or disillusioned, even questioning their call. He refers to Paul saying in Galatians 6:9, “And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.” Laniak then concludes this chapter Called to Care by saying, “Perhaps God will use this season of reflection to inspire us afresh with renewed vigor to serve his flock, whatever that flock happens to be." Amen.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 3: Called to Care
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: