The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Finding Good Help, Day 36

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 36: Finding Good Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimberly Kiefer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Finding Good Help, Day 36 Reply with quote

“In Abu-Yasmin’s world, you grow up a shepherd. Bedouin don’t write textbooks. They pass on shepherding skills as the need arises and in their rich storytelling lore by the evening fireside. It’s caught more than taught”. page 238, Day 36, Finding Good Help

This interaction reminds me of the importance of mentors. For a majority of my professional life I was a Law Enforcement Officer. While I was in seminary, I discerned a call to be a Law Enforcement Chaplain. I could see how God was bringing together my experience as an officer and my heart for officers, currently working, to not be destroyed by their job. I saw myself change as my career began; I called it, the Human Robot. Once I put on my uniform, the general consensus of society and my department was, I was not a human anymore and that I should not have emotions or be affected by what I experienced during each 12 hour shift. As the years passed and I discerned my call to ministry to serve as a Law Enforcement Chaplain, my passion is to be a support and positive influence for Law Enforcement Officers, so the profession they are in does not ruin their lives.

I was approved by a Chief to serve as a Chaplain at a police department. There were three other Chaplains serving (volunteering) who were all full-time, lead pastors at different churches. The longest serving Chaplain became my mentor. When I read this comment by Abu-Yasmin, I immediately recalled the many conversations my mentor and I had concerning Law Enforcement Chaplaincy. He had a few articles and books he shared with me about Law Enforcement Chaplaincy, yet where I really learned how to be a Chaplain, was talking to him, watching him interact with officers, hearing his stories and encounters with officers. As he shared the reality of being a Chaplain with real world experiences, not just words on a page in a book, that really set up a firm foundation for me to build my Chaplaincy on. He challenged me to look at other viewpoints, see my role in a variety of ways, and broke the “box” I had in my mind about Law Enforcement Chaplaincy. I am forever grateful and indebted to his teachings, availability, and his heart for Law Enforcement Chaplaincy.

Recently, the exciting part of our relationship was me emailing him to let him know, I am now in the Doctor of Ministry program at GCTS. Several years ago he had to retire from serving as a Chaplain and pastor because of health issues. He rejoiced with me and the news of the journey I am on with the Doctor of Ministry! I am so thankful that I caught so much of what my mentor shared with me!

As of 2021 I have been serving as a Law Enforcement Chaplain for over 11 years. The last several years God has blessed me with opportunities to teach new Law Enforcement Chaplains. I pray that I continue the legacy that was given to me by my mentor, so others can serve God well as Law Enforcement Chaplains.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 36: Finding Good Help
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: