The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

God, Our Nurturer

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 9: Midwives and Nurses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LMartin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: God, Our Nurturer Reply with quote

As a post-partum and newborn nurse, I can relate to the nurturing, more feminine side of God. The title, El Shaddai, has its root in the Hebrew word for breast (lit. God of many breasts). This speaks to God as our provider and nurturer - our source for perfect nutrition. The Hebrew word for compassion in Psalm 51, racham, is a plural noun meaning mercies. This noun, in the singular, means womb. David appeals to the LORD for forgiveness in accordance with His mercies based upon the LORD knowing him completely because he has been in His womb. (Isn't that awesome!!)

In Genesis 1, the earth was undistinguishable - a chaotic mass, unformed and empty. It was like an embryo in deep and raging waters surrounded by darkness in the process of development. The Ruach Elohim (Spirit of God) was hovering (rahef) over it, calling into existence that which did not previously exist. Rahef suggests the tremulous hovering and gentle fluttering of a mother bird over her young. This verb, rahef, speaks volumes to me of God's gentle love, mercy, and kindness. I was empty, desolate, and void. Yet, the Spirit of God was hovering over me, warming and nurturing me, breathing life into me. From the chaos that defined me, He called into existence that which was not, forming me into His new creation. To the praise of His holy name!! And He still flutters over me; development and growth is a process that will always require His nurturing care.

The loving-kindness of God brings me to my knees in awe. Our Father of many mercies, may we all be carriers of your grace, compassion, and kindness as you are forming us into the likeness of our Lord, Your Son, Jesus Christ. May our ministry expressions be rooted in our love, adoration, and gratitude for you and your never ending love and mercy.

Amen
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 9: Midwives and Nurses
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: