The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Unique

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 14: Named and Known
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nschatz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Unique Reply with quote

“Sheep know they belong to a shepherd. They are named, known, and counted every day.” (101)

It’s easy for me as a pastor to paint my church in broad brushes. I can identify generalities about a certain group of people or stereotypes. I naturally view those in my congregation (or “flock”) as staff, leaders, members, teenagers, irregular attenders, etc.

But Laniak has reminded me in this day’s devotion that each person in my church has a name. Each person is infinitely unique. They each have specific feelings, aspirations, convictions, and needs. They each need to be shepherded, resourced, disciplined, and motivated “in a tailored way” (105).

God recognizes this about me. He knows that I am not just another pastor. I’m not just another “lazy this” or “ignorant that.” He sees me also as someone in progress. Who I am today does not define who I will be in one year; or ten years. Though it will take work, I need to reorient the way I view my church body in this light. If someone is immature now, this does not mean they will always be immature. Likewise, if someone walks with God today, that does not mean they do not need to be continually spurred on to love and good works because five years from now they could vere from the path.

Stereotyping, painting with a broad brush, putting people in categories - these are habits of mine that go way back. As I type these words I am praying for God to give me a shepherd's heart for the people under my care. I’m asking him to give me eyes like His to see individuals rather than merely similar-looking sheep.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 14: Named and Known
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: